Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Becoming More Self-Fulfilling

I asked myself what would make me happy. All the usual things spring to mind immediately – having my children succeed, more money…lol. So I decided to make a list of the things I really enjoyed, both big and little.
  1. The little things like being able to take a bath (I only had a shower), lavender to burn when I have a headache, making things – crochet, knitting, sewing. A nice dinner set for company, nice cups and saucers instead of mugs, good sheets on the bed, being able to spend time just wandering and looking in the shops, going for a walk and looking at the world around me. Having flowers in my garden with perfumes. The occasional meal out, taken without rushing.
  2. The bigger things like travel. Being able to afford to go to the theatre if I felt like it. Going out for the day for a picnic.
My bathroom had already been renovated twice in line with my husband’s medical needs. The second time to a big shower room. Renovating it again would be an expensive option. Then one day I was driving past a plumbing shop and saw a stand-alone bath. That was certainly achievable. When the bathroom was last renovated I retained the taps from the previous bath. The shower head was on a flexible tube and could be brought down to a bath. With a stand-alone bath I would not need to change the floor drain. My bath had to be ordered and then installed by a plumber, but at last I could have my soak!

Next I found a very pretty two-tone grey dinnerset that I loved. My niece had recently moved to the country as was unable to transport her beautiful sideboard/cabinet with her. I purchased that off her and had the ideal place for my dinnerset, and for my ‘crazy teaset’ of mismatched cups and saucers, to go on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment