Friday, November 12, 2010

Going Crafty

In recent years I haven’t had the time to do any of my crafts. Not that I am great at it. I’m not. It took me years to learn to knit. My mother tried, but we finally worked out that because I am basically left handed, and she and the patterns are right handed, that it was going to be a major task. I did finally manage to learn to knit (from a book) but I never did master the art of picking up a dropped stitch! However, persistence is a virtue, I finally managed to complete several items, even managing to knit a vest for my husband with a pattern and cable incorporated. Other items followed, but it HAS been several years since I attempted anything.

Patons held crochet classes which I had attended, and I did learn to crochet and follow a pattern. Over the years I have done crocheted washers, kitchen hand towels, and doily edges. My sewing also lapsed after the kids grew up. The last item I sewed (other than mending) was some shirts for my husband because they needed adjusting for his shoulders and arms. My painting was dropped when my husband became ill.

Now was the time! I decided to start with knitted Christmas presents. Five items were chosen and I began. So far I have completed, but not sewn up yet, three of the five items. I am almost half-way through knitting the fourth item. I plan on having at least four of these completely finished by the end of the month as three of them need to be posted to the country. Next year I have decided to continue making things to go to Samaritan’s Purse.

After my knitting for Christmas is all done I plan to make myself some crocheted kitchen hand towels. I have already gotten some sewing patterns, and plan to start making myself some clothes after the utility room is set up as my new sewing room. Once I have taken my lovely cruises I intend to look into taking painting classes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment