Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Changing my life.

I decided to start by looking at the things around me. Even though my health was on the precarious side, an inordinate amount of time was spent trying to just keep up the household. If I wanted to have more time to do the things I truly wished to do, then that had to change.

Some time ago I joined a website called Simple Savings (http://www.simplesavings.com.au)
and the members had some great ideas. One of these was decluttering. A simple concept that fit right in with my needs. I began by starting on one room and getting rid of all non-essential items. Now I have several rooms done, although much more needs to be done – however – now when I tidy, it is only a minor task, not a major one!

Next I hired a family friend who is a carpenter. He has investment property of his own, so is more or less a complete handyman. My house is over 40 years old, and it was showing it’s age…lol. We began by doing minor repairs around the house. Second task was the replacement of all the old shabby faux wood doors with new panel doors. Because he could only come on weekends, outside of his normal job, this is a lengthy process. Particularly as the old doors did not match the size of the new doors, meaning that each had to be individually planed to fit the doorways.

He also arranged for a plasterer to come in and mend all cracks which had appeared in the ceilings and walls. Then sealed them ready for my son and I to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment